St. Louis residents and visitors to the city enjoy gooey butter cake, toasted ravioli, and concretes. Pests also else enjoy St. Louis. So whether you’re dealing with ants in your kitchen or squirrels in your walls, you’re considering Orkin to get rid of your uninvited dinner guests.
This Orkin review covers everything you need to know about the Orkin St. Louis branches’ services and customer experience. We did the research for you. Though Pest Gnome has an affiliate relationship with Orkin, this Orkin pest control review is fair and unbiased.
- Same-day service
- Offer whole-home solutions in addition to pest control
- Serves the entire St. Louis area
- Orkin St. Louis at a Glance
- Other Orkin St. Louis Services
- Orkin Highlights
- How to Get an Instant Quote and Order Service Online
- Orkin St. Louis Customer Reviews
- Buyers Guide to Choosing a Pest Control Company in St. Louis
- FAQ About Orkin
- DIY Pest Control
- Other National Pest Control Companies Serving St. Louis
Orkin St. Louis at a Glance
Pests They Treat
|Pest||Orkin St. Louis|
|Centipedes and millipedes||✔|
|Pantry pests||Pantry beetles only|
|Rodents (mice, rats, etc.)||✔|
|Stinging pests (bees, wasps, etc.)||✔|
|Service||Orkin St. Louis|
|Basic Pest Services||$45-$85 per month|
|Bed Bug Treatment||$500-$1,500|
|Feature||Orkin St. Louis|
|How many states do they serve?||47(Excluding AK, SD, WY)|
|Service Plans Offered|
|Offers eco-friendly options?||✔|
|Does it serve commercial properties?||✔|
|Gives instant quotes online?||✘ (only on the phone)|
|Has an online portal for scheduling, billing, etc.?||✔|
|24/7 customer support?||✔|
|Better Business Bureau rating||A+|
|Additional Services Offered|
|Lawn treatments for pests weeds, and diseases||✘|
Other Orkin St. Louis Services
Orkin service is not limited to solving only pest problems. They’re prepared to solve a number of other common home issues.
Orkin has three different types of insulation to help you conserve energy, save money on energy bills, and protect you from pests.
- OrkinTherm, Orkin’s signature insulation, is the only pest control product on the market that is both approved by the EPA and carrying an Energy Star label, as it’s made of 85% recycled materials. It is created with a natural pesticide that is safe for people and pets, but deadly to these common pests:
- Darkling Beetles
- Orkin ComfortZone can be installed in your attic, garage, or crawlspace to control the climate within and reclaim previously unusable storage space. It can lengthen the life of your HVAC system and save energy.
- Rolled batting insulation performs similarly, and it can control sound as well. Plus, it has a lower environmental impact, using at least 25% recycled materials.
Everyone knows that cleaning out your gutters is an awful chore, but not everyone realizes that waiting too long to do so could give mosquitoes or other wildlife enough time to set up shop. Mosquitoes are attracted to standing water, and birds or squirrels could see your gutters as the perfect place to build a nest.
Orkin’s Leaf Stopper makes it so that you never have to clean your gutters again. It’s a “specially treated open-cell, multipolymer insert that is shaped and cut to fit snugly in your gutters,” and as such it does not dent, break, or rust.
Orkin DryZone is Orkin’s specialized, custom program that takes care of excessive moisture in your home by reducing humidity. They can seal up cracks where moisture may leak in, install moisture-blocking barriers, and place moisture sensors in key areas so you can be sure the humidity is staying at manageable levels.
Excessive moisture can lead to structural damage in your home as wood rots, and the wet environment also attracts termites – a double whammy that could literally bring the house down. Some warning signs of moisture include:
- Visible mold or mildew
- Peeling paint or wallpaper
- Difficulty opening doors or windows
- Warped floorboards
- Musty odors
And while we’re fine with allowing the St. Louis Cardinals into our homes during baseball season, it’s when the city’s other critters want in that problems arise.
They can dig up your yard, chew on wires, rifle through your trash cans, and even find a way into your house, where they can make noise, smells, and potentially spread disease.
Orkin can deal with bothersome animals in three ways:
- Exclusion and Prevention: Your Okrin pro can identify potential points of entry into your attic, garage, crawl space, etc., and seal them up so no unwanted guests find them.
- Removal: If an animal has already settled someplace it shouldn’t have, Orkin can responsibly remove it in line with local regulations.
- Wildlife Repellent: These can be placed around your yard to keep some kinds of animals out of your garden.
Sanitation Service for Businesses
Workplace cleanliness has become a top of the priority for both employees and customers. Orkin offers free consultations for VitalClean, their deep cleaning service for businesses.
The EPA rates VitalClean as “practically non-toxic and not an irritant,” the lowest level of toxicity. That means it’s safe for people, even though on hard surfaces it kills 100% of the pathogens listed on its label (such as those that cause the flu, common cold, and COVID-19), and it santizies soft surfaces.
They’ve compiled this informational sheet for more details.
With over 120 years of experience and 1.7 million customers, Orkin’s numerous treatment plans are just one reason people choose the company.
The Orkin Guarantee
The Orkin customer satisfaction guarantee is, “We’re not happy, until you’re happy.”
That is why all of their services come with a 30-day money back guarantee. They are committed to working with you until you’re satisfied, and if it just doesn’t work out, they offer 60 days of complementary service or a full refund on your last service payment.
Industry Leading Training
Every Orkin employee undergoes 160 hours of training in Orkin’s specialized training center.
Their state-of-the-art procedures, which allow employees to work in simulated field environments, routinely get them onto Training magazine’s prestigious Top 125 list, where they also have been featured as Editor’s Choice honorees.
Environmentalism is more important to consumers today than ever before. When working on your property or in the office, Orkin takes this seriously. Here’s how.
- Orkin uses products approved by the Environmental Protection Agency. Their award-winning training ensures that, when chemicals are used, they’re applied correctly to maximize effectiveness and minimize any impact on nature.
- Orkin is a member of the National Pest Management Association’s Quality Pro program, which means the company is held to the highest moral and operational standards in the business.
- Orkin’s Environmental Stewardship Group is made up of workers from all across the company. Their job is to review company practices and procedures in order to make sure Orkin remains environmentally responsible.
- Satellite training eliminates an estimated 1 million miles of travel that used to be necessary for Orkin workers to attend mandatory training sessions. It was the first of its kind in the pest control industry.
- Software calculates the most fuel efficient travel routes for Orkin employees to drive as they stop at customers’ houses.
Mosquitoes may be the most universally hated pest of them all. The annoying buzzing and itchy bites is enough to make anyone angry, but they also have the potential to transmit parasites, viruses, and bacteria. Orkin has multiple methods of combating these pests:
- Water Treatments: Orkin can use insect growth regulators on mosquito nesting sites, which are in standing water or other moist places, to prevent larvae from ever growing up. They won’t be able to bite or reproduce.
- Prevent Eggs From Hatching: If there are no larvae present yet, Orkin can use microbial insecticide products in the water where mosquitoes lay their eggs to kill them before they hatch.
- Vegetation Treatments: Your pest control technician can apply insecticides to vegetation on your property where adult mosquitoes spend their time.
How to Get an Instant Quote and Order Service Online
Interested or need to know more? Orkin does not offer instant quotes but they make it easy to schedule a callback for a free quote from a St. Louis branch representative. All you have to do is enter some basic information.
Step 1. Start by clicking on “Get a Quote” or “Get a Free Quote” anywhere on Orkin’s website.
Step 2. Next, select the reason for your inquiry and input some basic contact information. Here, you have the option to select a date and time that best suits your schedule to receive your callback and quote.
It’s important to note that some services require an inspection to diagnose. The service representative who contacts you will likely ask what pest you are dealing with, how long the issue has been occurring, and how large your property is.
Orkin St. Louis Customer Reviews
Here is what St. Louis locals had to say about Orkin’s pest control services.
Effective and timely: “Their products keep my home pest free… Ants come back in the spring but are gone after the spring spray. Workers are knowledgeable and not pushy about getting any additional products. I appreciate this, plus showing up in the time scheduled.” – Pam W., Facebook
Eco-friendly and people-friendly: “I confirmed with the supervisor that the mosquito control does NOT negatively impact the bee population and is meant to safely interrupt the reproductive cycle. My technician wore booties over his shoes and was receptive to my concerns at all times. Very professional AND friendly.” – Dave H., Google
Communication confusion: “I had my appointment time set for between 10 and noon, and took off work. I called around 1:30. The lady I talked to on the phone was nice, but did not know why the technician did not show up, and said that he would be calling me.
[The technician] called me and told me he canceled all the mosquito sprays for that day due to the weather. It would have been nice to get a text/call stating that so I was not waiting around at home. I asked when it would be rescheduled, he said Saturday (the next day). I then got updated texts on Saturday saying my whole service was canceled and I would get a call saying when it would be rescheduled. I then got a message eight or so hours later saying they were there to spray! Never received a call or text saying Saturday was back on to spray!” – Victoria M., Google
- 120+ years in the industry
- Customer satisfaction guarantee
- Same-day service
- Highly trained technicians
- Customer service variations with a franchise model
- No instant quotes
- Occasional lapses in communication
Buyers Guide to Choosing a Pest Control Company in St. Louis
When shopping around for pest control in Missouri, it can be tough to narrow it down. Cost, services offered at your local branches, and green options are all factors to consider.
Orkin has two locations servicing St. Louis and the surrounding areas.
- Orkin Fenton (residential & commercial)
1528 Fenpark Drive
- Orkin Fenton (commercial only)
1530 Fenpark Drive
Orkin will exterminate many types of pests, but pest control plans at the St. Louis locations do specialize in some of the most common nuisances in the area:
- Stinging pests (wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets)
- Bed bugs
As mentioned above, Orkin uses EPA-approved products, and where they can, they choose non-chemical pest control solutions.
- Insect baits come as gels or pucks, and they can reduce the need for chemical sprays. In their solid forms, they contain low concentrations of chemical compounds that will never be released into the air.
- Fly lights use sticky paper, which flying insects are lured onto by a UV light. The sticky paper alone can be effective in areas frequented by flying bugs.
- Pheromone traps use synthetic pheromones, which are the chemicals insects use to communicate, to attract these pests into sticky traps.
With an aggregate rating of 4.7 stars, the reviews of Orkin in St. Louis are chiefly positive. Most people have productive pest control sessions with technicians who are polite and effective. Customers state their technicians were knowledgeable and explained the procedures they used.
One common theme in the negative reviews was a lack of communication. Some customers could not get in contact with their local offices or were given inaccurate information regarding the timing of their appointments. Others indicated that the information they received from the national call center did not align with what the St. Louis branches said.
Overall, however, most people found their technicians were thorough and polite, and that they were able to get in touch with Orkin for follow-up appointments.
Orkin only offers quotes over the phone. One reason for this is so they can collect more information on the specific challenges you face to give you a more accurate estimate.
Pest Gnome has pricing guides for a more thorough investigation into the costs of different kinds of pest control:
- Pricing Guide: How Much Does an Exterminator Cost?
- Pricing Guide: How Much Does Termite Treatment Cost?
- Pricing Guide: How Much Does Bed Bug Treatment Cost?
But as a good rule of thumb, you can expect:
- A one-time treatment costs between $250 and $600
- A basic pest control package will cost around $45-$85 per month
FAQ About Orkin
Blood sucking pests like mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas can carry diseases like the Zika virus, Lyme disease, and the deadly Encephalitis Virus. Intrusive wildlife or rodents could have rabies or the Hantavirus. Many people are allergic to cockroaches, which can trigger asthma or other allergic reactions.
If you experience abnormal symptoms after receiving a bug bite, it is best to consult with your doctor.
Unfortunately, Orkin only offers their specialized lawn treatments in Florida.
In cases where insect baits are left out, it is important to talk to your technician about the dangers of the specific products. But often these baits are placed in areas your pet cannot reach.
Where sprays are involved, just make sure to keep people and animals away from treated areas until they dry, which can take an hour or two. It usually isn’t necessary to leave while the treatments are being applied.
Whatever residue is left after the treatments dry will be sufficient to kill bugs without doing harm to people or pets. The pesticides are administered in extremely low concentrations, so it’s unlikely you’d be exposed to anything harmful through the air.
The EPA has a useful guide to the Do’s and Don’ts of Pest Control on their website for more information.
DIY Pest Control
The best things you can do to begin controlling pests at home are wiping out the conditions that attract them in the first place and taking basic preventative measures to keep them out.
This approach to pest control has gained traction in recent years. It is called Integrated Pest Management, or IPM, and it generally reserves chemicals as a last resort.
Some IPM best practices are:
- Sealing cracks, gaps, holes, and any other entries through which a pest may wriggle, including replacing damaged window screens and installing door sweeps
- Cleaning where pests like to hide, such as behind and underneath appliances, furniture, etc.
- Trimming back vegetation that is touching your home, like tree branches or ivy that bugs could use to sneak into your home
- Decluttering things you don’t need that are stored in your attic, basement, or garage to make it neater and provide fewer places for pests to hang out
As you can see, it involves a lot of common sense steps that ideally work in combination to leave pests seeking crumbs of delicious, gooey butter cake in someone else’s house.
Here are a few more Pest Gnome articles that can help you beat some of St. Louis’s most hated pests:
- Cockroach Control: How to Get Rid of Cockroaches for Good
- 10 Common Types of Ants
- How to Eliminate the Conditions that Attract Rodents
- Termite Control: How To Identify and Get Rid of Termites
- How to Get Rid of Wasps
- How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
- Natural Fly Repellents That Actually Work
Other National Pest Control Companies Serving St. Louis
If you want to know about your other options for pest control in St. Louis, these Pest Gnome reviews might be helpful.
- Aptive Environmental Pest Control in St. Louis
- Terminix Pest Control in St. Louis
When to Call a Pest Control Pro
Whether you need to install better insulation, protect your gutters, or evict a raccoon living in your crawl space, Orkin St. Louis has solutions for you.
The bottom line is that it’s time to call a professional when your store-bought or DIY solutions aren’t working. It is always better to get an inspection if you’re unsure. Orkin can help you eliminate a small infestation before it becomes a big problem.
Want to check local pest control providers? Pest Gnome makes it easy to find the best pest control pros near you. With a few clicks, you’ll get quotes in minutes.
Pest Gnome participates in Orkin’s affiliate program and may earn revenue from connecting you to Orkin for pest control.